TRUST IN GOD

Life is much more important than food, and the body much more important than clothes. Instead, be concerned with His Kingdom, and He will provide you with these things.
Luke 12:23,31


Saturday, August 15, 2009

Family Bible Study - Sunday, August 16th, 2009 - Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Gospel Passage
John 6:51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats
of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the
world is my flesh.” 52 The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying,
“How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” 53 So Jesus said to them, “Very
truly, I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his
blood, you have no life in you. 54 Those who eat my flesh and drink my
blood have eternal life, and I will raise them up on the last day; 55 for my
flesh is true food and my blood is true drink. 56 Those who eat my flesh and
drink my blood abide in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent
me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever eats me will live because of
me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like that which
your ancestors ate, and they died. But the one who eats this bread will live
forever.”

Questions for Discussion:

1) Jesus says that the “bread” which he will give for the life of the world is His
flesh. Think about what happens when Jesus says through the priest at Mass the words, “This is my body given for you,” “This is the cup of my blood,... shed for you...."

2) Jesus says that if we eat His flesh, we will live forever. What does it mean to “live because of” Jesus whom we receive in Holy Communion?
used with permission - Fr. Roger Landry

No comments: